Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cheap meal of the month

If you are anything like me making Delicious yet inexpensive meals is a part of everyday life. Well I Made the most filling, inexpensive meal of the month maybe year last night. I decided to make Chicken A La King so I needed to make gravy, cook the chicken and make biscuits. Well I started out by figuring the least costly way to do the Biscuits and I decided a 4 pack of Home style Biscuits from Wal-mart was the way to go. They are small biscuits but 1 can is 10 biscuits so for $2.37 I bought 40 biscuits, and there was no way I was going to be able to make them for that. Next was the gravy, I am not very good at making gravy so I did buy one package of chicken gravy for $0.97 and decided I could add flour and water to it as I needed, but this way I had good flavor to start. I already had the chicken at home, earlier I had purchased a 10lb package of leg and thigh quarters for $0.49 a lb. so for $4.90. So I took out 3 of the thigh and leg quarters out and boiled them until tender, I started the gravy and just kept adding to it using the water from the boiled chicken to help keep the flavor. I also added some frozen peas, carrots and corn from the garden. I did use 2 of the packages of Biscuits so my husband had them for lunch the next day as leftovers

The way I figure it out
3 pieces of chicken equaled about 1lb or $0.49
2 packages of biscuits was approximately $1.19
1 package of gravy mix was $0.97

So I made a complete meal with leftovers for $2.65

If you want to add the extra flour I used it wasn't much maybe 1/2 a cup and I bought the flour on sale for $1.00 so you could figure maybe $0.10 and the veggies I grew myself.

I have to say I was pretty proud of myself

No comments:

Post a Comment