Tuesday, May 25, 2010

great ways to save.

Here is one great thing about summer, it makes people want to share.  The warm weather brightens everyone spirits and people become more giving, I say take advantage of these times, but remember to pay it forward somewhere.

One example is rhubarb, someone with an established crop will almost always share, as they never want to deal with it all.  My husband had been doing some landscaping work for a couple and I was helping him. I mentioned to the homeowner how nice his rhubarb looked and how I was trying to get my own going.  Well, the next thing I know I'm home washing and cutting what ended up being 12 cups of rhubarb, I had already been given 5 cups by a friend and had made a dessert so I froze these 12 cups for later.

Perennial flowers are another thing, late spring and early summer people start to thin their perennials, although it is not the ideal time to transplant, the plants will survive, though often flowers will not bloom the first year. I have gotten iris', honey suckles, and hostas this way.  I had been given so much I actually donated some of it to our local community gardens.

I truly enjoy sharing what I have extras of and I love to expand my flowers and gardens every year so I can share. I can guarantee if I got it for free from someone you will get it for free from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment