Thursday, June 18, 2009

shopping for meat

For me meats are a tricky item, my local grocery store has pretty good quality meat and we do have a butcher shop about 15 miles away but I don't get there often. I a few tipsI use for shopping for meats and not spending a ton.

1. I buy the lesser quality cut, unless you were planning something special Porterhouses aren't really necessary for a day to day meal.

2. Look for the meat that has been on the shelf a little longer and see if you can get it discounted. Our grocery store will put coupons on the stuff that has been on the shelf for 2 days.

3. Don't buy things like stir fry or stew meat they charge you extra because they cut the meat smaller.

4. Buy roasts you can use them as roasts, you can cut them into the stew and stir fry meats, you can also cut them into sandwich size steaks.

5. watch for sales on bags of frozen chicken instead of fresh.

6. also look for chicken that is sold as Leg and thigh still together those are sold here 2-3 times a year here for about 50 cents a pound in 10 lb bags, I just separate and freeze with a vacuum sealer.

7. Buy bone in pork chops they will cost less

There are so many things I watch for when it comes to buying meats and it saves me so much money. I bought 4 steaks the other day for less than $2 a steak and 1 steak will feed me, and Braxton for supper, plus I had enough left over to keep for lunch the next day so I could treat myself with a steak sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment