Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Recipes

I have been a little MIA lately with all the holidays and crazy schedule that a stay at home mom keeps.

      One thing I decided was after the 1st of the year I was going to try to cook something new at least 3 days a week (something I don't cook often anyway) and to eat healthier.  So I have been a calorie counting , cooking fool for the last 3 weeks.  It has taken away 10 lbs and given me the chance to explore new menu options I may not have in the past. 

      Well one food I alwas ave a lot of in my house is Pork, I Love it and it is a very versitle meat that yo can so a lot with, and aside from Bacon it really isn't very high in calories, of coarse that assuming you aren't frying it in butter.

     I thought today I'd share one of my favorite pork chop recipes: Apple baked pork chops
Pre heat oven to 375
4 medium pork chops, bone in or out.
2 medium apples any kind will do, but ones for baking are better
1 medium yellow onion
1 tsp dried rosemary or 2 sprigs of fresh
1 tbls extra virgin olive oil You can use butter if you like
1/4 cup red wine, not dry wine though

Heat the oil in a large oven proof skillet, if available, and sautee the oinion and aples until all are carmalized
take them out and set them aside.
In the same skillet add the porkchops and brown on both sides or about 3 min per side.
When they are brown on both sided remove chops and add wine then scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen everything then add the chops, apples and onions back into the pan.
Add the rosemary on top of the chops and put into preheated oven for 30 min.

If you don't have an oven safe skillet you can transfer all ingredients to any oven safe dish, however make sure the dish was in the oven during preheating so it isn't cold when you add the ingredients.

you can add any side dish you like, i prefer baby red potatoes, with garlic and dill it is a surprising easy meal to cook and depending on the meat prices in your area it is a reletively inexpensive meal too.

break down of cost
Pork (on sale) $2.49 a lb Average chop is about 4 oz so 4 chops is 1 lb so $2.49
Apples (on sale) $0.99 for a 3 lb bag 2 apples about 1/2 a lb so $0.15 for appls
Onion $0.99 for a 1lb bag 1 onion is about $.010

For $2.75 cents you have pork chops for 4!!

1 comment: