Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A quick fix Dinner

Yesterday was kind of a hectic day as I had two extra kids in the house so by the time they both left I was stuck trying to dig up some kind of Idea for dinner.

I had some ground turkey in the freezer so I went to All recipes (one of my favorite websites) and did and ingredient search for recipes that called of ground turkey and I found one that sounded pretty good but I had to modify for what I had in the house.

What I ended up with was basically an Italian turkey pasta.

Ingredients;
1lb ground turkey $1.69
1/2 of a green pepper, I had frozen left from my garden last year.
1 med yellow onion $0.28 I had bought a bag for about $2.00 a week or so ago and there was 7 in the bag.
1 stalk of celery $.10 I'm guessing because I know he celery was $1.69 but no clue how  many stalks here were.
1 Can of Chicken broth $1.59
1 Can of Stewed Tomatoes $1.59
1/2 box of Whole wheat penne Pasta $1.50
1 TBLS of Minced Garlic
2 Tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic salt or granules
1 tsp chili Powder
1 pinch of sugar
1 tsp of White vinegar.
1/4 C Shredded Italian Cheese $0.50

Saute the turkey with the peppers, onion and celery, in a small stock pot or dutch oven.  Once all ingredients are cooked, remove everything from the pan using a slotted spoon to allow the drippings to stay in the pan.  Once removed add the one can of Chicken broth and 2 cans of water, bring to a boil, add noodles and cook through.  After the noodles are cooked drain water, add the meat and veggie mixture back in, and add the can of tomatoes, Garlic salt, chili powder, sugar and vinegar, and heat through.  Once hot pour into a serving dish and top with Italian cheese and serve. 

I served mine with a small salad.

It was actually a pretty healthy meal, it was a fast recipe, and fairly inexpensive at about $7.25 and fed 3 people and we had left overs for my husband to take to work.

I will probably be making it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment