Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Left overs

Earlier I was reading a article about how complicated we have made our diets with processed foods.  I am by no means claiming to be the queen of healthy and I love convenience, but I do my best to keeps to food some what healthy. So with the combination of reading the article about how much crap goes into Doritos (my favorite) I started to think about what to make for supper tonight.

Well I decided to use some leftover pulled pork that was in my freezer from a party and make Pulled pork tacos.  It is a very simple, inexpensive, especially if you have leftovers, and tasty.  I especially love that it is primarily fresh ingredients.  I really wish we were a little further into summer so I would have my own fresh veggies, but oh well.

So here is how I make them
1 lb of pulled pork - $0 for me since it was leftover
1 package taco seasoning -$0.50
1/2 cup salsa - $0 it's my homemade salsa
1 can chicken stock (only because it's left overs and already cooked) -$1.00
1 package of whole wheat taco shells -$3.00
veggie toppings of your choice
Fat free sour cream (optional)

I will put the pork taco seasoning, salsa and chicken stock in the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours, just to heat it through and get the flavors into the pork. then at supper time build the taco to my specs.

Yep THAT"S IT!!

I love these they are such nice change from a regular beef taco

If you don't have leftover pork, just buy a small pork roast add all the same ingredients, except chicken stock, put in slow cooker and cook on medium for about 4-6 hours or until the pork starts to fall apart.  take pork out put it on a cutting board and pull it apart then place it back in juice and cook on low for another hour.

I have been planning on making these for about 3 days but it hasn't worked out so it is going to happen tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment