Monday, October 18, 2010

Beef stew

Well fall has finally started to set in so I am making a big crock pot full of beef stew tonight.

 I went grocery shopping and found a decent sized round steak for $3.29 but it was close to it's shelf life so the store had a $1 off coupon attached.  I cut it into bite sized pieces and poured a little red wine and worchestersire sauce on it and let it marinade for about 1/2 hour.  In the mean time I cut up 4 medium potatoes which the local store had on sale (10lb bag for $2.99)  I bought some celery and carrots which were both on sale for $0.99 a bag and threw in 2 cups of green beans and a cup of corn which were both out of my garden.  I added 1 can of Low sodium beef stock which I found in the reduced price cart for $0.50.  I then added some Mrs. Dash and Onions for flavor.  I just made a rue to help thicken it since it was more like soup.  I love the crock pot for stews it means I don't have to stare at it to keep it from burning.

I hope everyone is enjoying fall and all the warm foods that come with it.

I hope to go to the orchards is week and get apples so I can make applesauce and dehydrate some for traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment