Thursday, November 4, 2010

potato soup

One of my favorite things about fall is soups and stews, also with soup season also comes the sales on potatoes and vegetables.  2  weeks ago our local grocery store had 10lb bags of potatoes for $2.99 which is about $2 off.  They also had Large ham butt portions for $0.99 lb which is great because I get about 6 meals out of a 8lb chunk of meat.  This last week they had 2lb packages of celery and carrots for $0.99 each.  Well once I had the am cut apart and frozen I was left with a HUGE ham bone so I stuck it in the freezer so I could make potato soup, and Yesterday was the day I took it out to use. 

Potato Soup
1 large ham bone
2lbs of potatoes peeled and chopped (large pieces)
2 stalks of celery diced
3 carrots diced
1 med Onion diced
1/2 gallon of whole milk

I put the Ham bone in water(just enough to cover) and boil for about 2 hours, after 2 hours I add potatoes and the rest of the veggies. once the potatoes are cooked (45 min or so) remove the ham bone and remove pan from heat for about 15 min then I add the milk.  Don't dump it all in at once add and stir as you go because you may not need it all.  Put soup back on the heat on low until it is warmed through again then serve.  Sometimes I will add extra ham to it, if that is something you want I recommend adding the chopped ham when you add the veggies.

All in all this is one of my favorite soups and ultimately one of the Least expensive to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment